Archive for the ‘Carbon Monoxide’ Category

Carbon Monoxide can be a threat in any home and this Safety Guide hopefully will help you to avoid falling into its clutches. The cause of the danger is that carbon monoxide is not detectable by our sense of smell and taste but unfortunately this does not prevent it being deadly. Well maintained gas appliance’s, such as your gas boiler, produce carbon dioxide as a normal part of their operation. This escapes via the boiler flue and in normal... 

What are the main CO monitor features? Recommended monitors can be identified as they carry the British standard kite mark showing they are certified and have an audible alarm. These typically have batteries which will last for up to five years and have a deafening alarm which goes off when carbon monoxide is detected giving you time to evacuate the room. You should avoid the cheaper monitors which have a chemical spot displaying a particular colour... 

Carbon Monoxide (CO) cannot be tasted and has no smell giving no opportunity to detect this dangerous gas. The gas is a by product of combustion with insufficient oxygen supply such as can happen in a poorly ventilated boiler. The standard flue gases from a boiler, or other gas appliance such as a gas fire, contain Carbon Dioxide, this is displaced by Carbon Monoxide when the oxygen levels are reduced. Building regulations prescribing ventilation... 

If you are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide you might decide to buy a carbon monoxide detector to give you early warning of its presence in your home. You can’t see it, you can’t taste or sense in anyway so getting an alarm is a good way of checking whether this toxic gas is lurking near your gas boiler. If you check online or in a printed catalogue you will see that there are a number of different types of detector. We are talking... 

Carbon monoxide gradually builds up in your body and reduces your ability to absorb oxygen, in short you will die from this toxic gas if you spend any time inhaling it. Gas appliances are part of the fabric of most homes and there is a small risk that these can produce carbon monoxide, when they are badly maintained or neglected. Fortunately there are detectors to alert us to the presence of carbon monoxide in the air. Whilst they are not as commonplace...